Wednesday, May 22, 2013

CLOVERCON 2013
REVIEW!

 Hello there! On May 19th, me, the kareshi, and my cousin Bridgette went to New Jersey for this one day only con. My friend Maya was going to come as Hirako Shinji, but she was invited to Chicago for another con....that's ok though...because I'll be cosplaying with her at AnimeNext in almost two weeks! Yay!

About a month ago I sent in a form to do a panel on Cosplay Everyday. I was contacted by the staff and was invited to share an hour time slot on cosplay with another person. I shared the time with Kris, who came as an Umbreon. Kawaii! She was so sweet! Our room was filled to capacity and the people really enjoyed themselves. They had awesome stories and tips to tell and great questions. 

CloverCon is held in a recreational building. It has two floors. The upstairs only had one room available and that was a small gaming room. When you walked in the front doors, to the left was the registration table. There was a short hallway past the registration table that led to small rooms there were used for the panels. If you walked straight ahead, you entered a gymnasium, which was the main room for food and the dealer's room. In the gym, there was a small catwalk (I liked that, good idea!) with a DJ playing gaming/anime music and I'd guess-timate (spelling?) about 15 dealer tables. In the very back there was a food stand that had pizza, hot dogs, drinks, chips, and other noms. 

I didn't get to to go to any other panels, as my cousin was dying to go into the dealer's room...I told her there would be cute stuffed animals galore...so we spent some time in there. She found a cute little cat plushie in there. The dealers ranged from having jewelry, manga, some dvds, plushies, key chains, etc. It was enough for that small con, anymore dealers would have made it very crowded.

The Cosplay Fashion show was so much fun! That is another great idea of CloverCon, especially with the mini catwalk. The three of us signed up for it and someone announced everyone's name as to where to get in line. My cousin was nervous and insisted to walk with me, and the announcer had no problem with that, which was very sweet of him. I convinced my cousin that she should walk by herself and then meet me down at the end of the catwalk. I told her she should do one of her gymnastics moves and have fun doing it! (I know I briefly touched on this on my previous post.) She agreed to do a walk over, which is basically putting your one hand down and then flipping the rest of your body while walking slowly. She hesitated about this at first, being nervous about her wig possibly falling off. The convo was pretty much this:

Bridgette: What if my wig falls off?
Me: OH NEVER! You have a wig cap on, and bobby pins...you'll be fine! Here, let me put some more bobby pins in!
Bridgette: ^_^ OK!

NOPE.I went down the catwalk first and did a spin to make the captain cloak flare out (Good Lord, that is a beautiful piece of cosplay) and pulled out my wakazashi sword at the end for my pose. I gestured for Bridgette and she smiles, so cutely, and performs the front walk over. And there goes her wig. Everyone was cheering for her, but I panicked and ran up to her and shoved the wig back on and pulled her offstage...the wrong exit of course. I did this because I figured she'd be embarrassed but she just laughed away. I had no reason to come flying at her like a whirling dervish. OH WELL. I didn't even get to see the kareshi walk down because I was preening over my cousin like a distraught mother hen. -___-
 Ugh, the picture turned out blurry. My apologies. But you can still see how fabulous this Hetalia trio is!!! Note to self: I need to invest in a better camera.
Bridgette was SO excited to see the Ice King from Adventure Time. She nearly had a 12 year old heart attack. This was her first anime convention, so this was all so new to her! She just thought it was Japanese shows...boy was she wrong, ha ha ha.

We spent about 7 hours at CloverCon...it was a Sunday and a school night for my cousin! This was a great little con and the staffers were wonderful. There were no screaming otaku or random people running at top speed through crowds, etc. However there was this one random otaku sitting singing to herself at the entrance of the con. OK, although strange, AND the kareshi and I are used to this, Bridgette wasn't. This was the first thing she saw. She gave me a quizzical look and I just told her some people feel comfortable doing these sort of things at cons and shared a few stories with her. I was more concerned with how my cousin would be at the con, since it was her first and I wanted her to have a good experience. Especially since I had her dressed in cosplay! Start 'em young! 

If you get the chance next year to go to CloverCon and you live in or around the New Jersey area, check it out! (It reminded me of a smaller version of Kotoricon, which is also in New Jersey and takes place in January) In my opinion, I like going to smaller cons to test out a new cosplay...kinda like a dress rehearsal. You can see how the cosplay feels on you and see if you may need any adjustments. I found that the arm gloves I wear as Soi Fon were a little baggy, so I ordered extra small ones for AnimeNext. 
Alrighty, enough talk...here's some pics! ^_^
Absolutely loved the captain's cloak. Second Division represent! Cosplay from www.cosplaymagic.com
This was the main room/dealer's room/food vendor/DJ/Cosplay Catwalk area
First prize for our Bleach Trio~yatta!!!!
She really made a great Hiyori Sarugaki...I cosplayed as her before...but, Bridgette here is a young girl like her character she is portraying.
Watch out for Hiyori!
Nick as Urahara Kisuke. These little benches were perfect for photos. This is a great character shot of the both of them.
Oddest pairing ever, but funny! What would you call this? UraSoi? HA!
Urahara and Soi Fon are too close for comfort in this pic!
Where are you keeping Yoruichi-sama?!?
Good shadow from the hat for Urahara
Geez, I wish I could do this for cosplay pics!
Onmitsukidou
I tried to replicate a famous Soi Fon pose
Regular happy people!!!!


 Watch out Soi Fon, Urahara was in onmitsukidou too....!

END SCENE...thanks for reading! 

Next blog post will be on.....::drum roll::
 Finding the perfect cosplay wig at wig stores in your area!
In or around your neighborhood, you may see a wig shop...it usually will have signs in the window saying "Remy hair," which comes in hair pieces, extensions, or full wigs. Remy wigs can be expensive, but these wig stores have a GREAT selection of all types of wigs...synthetic, kankelon, etc besides Remy. When you see Remy Hair in the window, it just means it's a shining beacon for an awesome wig store! Going to pick out a wig tomorrow for AnimeNext, so I'll be taking pics and sharing tips! Then we will get to styling your perfect cosplay wig without spending a lot of $$$ *_* 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment