Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bringing your Cosplay to the Beach!

Let's Cosplay by the Sea!

The other weekend, the kareshi and I took a random day trip to the beach. I work most weekends so it is hard to get away. Besides, we have the almighty Otakon, Disney World, and AUSA to get ready for. With all those upcoming trips, we need to be mindful of our budget. It was very nice to go "down the shore" as we say on the East Coast, ha ha ha. 
I decided last minute to bring a wig along for a random cosplay by the sea mini photo shoot. I narrowed it down to my girl Nanao chan from Bleach because Captain Kyouraku just wants to see her in a bikini. It was a funny idea so I decided to roll with it! There were people all around us (of course, it's the beach. On a weekend.) but for all they knew I was some chick with black hair and glasses. Oh, little did they know what we were up to! I must give myself some credit too, I successfully changed my clear contacts over to violet under a towel. No sand in eyes. YATTA!
.....On to the pictures....!  





Commercial Break: This Urahara hat came with the Kareshi's cosplay. It didn't fit him (it was really tiny!) so now it's mine and it is the perfect sun hat :) Represent!!!!
 Like I said, it was a mini photo shoot! Next time (if I can get a chance to get to the beach again this summer) I'd like to bring along Misa Amane from Death Note! That would be fun. 

If you plan on doing a cosplay by the sea, lake, river, pool, etc...make sure you have your wig safely secured in a zip lock bag. If you have the wig on your wig stand, place a plastic bag or cover over it to protect from the elements. You don't want sand or dirt OR the sun messing up your wig. The sun can possibly fade the wig, so be sure to protect it!
Bring along a can of freeze spray just in case or a travel sized hair spray as well as the Got2B spiking gel if you need to. Personally, I would not bring the spiking gel unless you truly need it. Do a re-touch the night before the shoot and spray it down. The spiking gel can be messy especially somewhere like the beach. Gross.
Be extra careful if you are bringing colored contacts. Don't do what I did. I changed my clear ones to violet under a towel. I miraculously did not get sand in my eye, but it was a foolish move on my part. Go to a nearby bathroom or enclosed area where you can switch the contacts.
Choose a swimsuit that best suits your character or a funny situation that the character is associated with. Nanao-chan would not wear a bikini let alone a swimsuit, but there's a running joke that her Captain would dearly love to see her in one. There was my inspiration!!! Also, remember to have fun with the poses! Keep in character, and the poses will come to you. For example, one of my poses was me posing with a book looking annoyed. Perfect Nanao-chan moment: she is reading AND does not want to be disturbed!
Most importantly, my fellow cosplayers, wear a good sunblock! DO NOT forget SPF!!! Last thing you want is a bad sunburn and risk of skin cancer. Do take care of yourselves. <3
*
*Huge thank you to ENVY Photography for their amazing pictures!*


No comments:

Post a Comment