Saturday, June 1, 2013

Perfect Products for Styling your Wigs

Scenario One: you need an amazing wig to top off your cosplay. You order the wig, which from the picture on the site, is the exact match for your character. You receive the wig in the mail, tear open the package like it's Christmas Day...and..eh, what's this? It's the right color...right style...but it's not looking so hot from the journey (usually from China). This, of course doesn't happen all the time, but what do you do if this happens!? 

Scenario Two: You search and search online...but to no avail. The wig you need is impossible to find. Wrong color, weird style, etc. Again, what to do, what to do.......

Scenario Three: You order the perfect wig. AND IT DOESN'T"T SHOW UP.

Scenario Four: The wig you order online appears to be a match, but it needs to be trimmed and styled a bit.

No need to worry.  I experienced all three of these scenarios...and was able to have a great wig in the end!

I ordered a Hiyori Sarugaki wig online. It was exactly what I was looking for; especially the pale blonde hair color. It came, I opened the package, and...ok, it was in good shape from the journey. But the pig tails were straight. Hiyori's pigtails are spiked out and she has little beaded bobby pins in her hair.


There ya go. This is what it looked like when it came:

Color's good! Ribbons, kawaii! Pigtails? Not spiked. No panicking here! You may have heard of these products before and I cannot recommend them enough. I present to you:
GOT2B HAIR PRODUCTS

  These products are the holy grail of styling cosplay wigs gone awry. The spiking glue comes in travel sizes and sometimes come attached to the bottle of freeze spray. Put a pea sized amount between your thumb and index finger and rub together a bit. Then smooth it on to create the spike. Keep loading it on until you reach the style you desire. After you finished with the aptly named spiking glue, spray spray sprayyyy away with the blasting freeze spray. Your wig will stay perfect, I guarantee you. It's amazing. A cosplay miracle! Be sure to bring these with you when you go to a con for touch ups. Before I leave the hotel room, I will double check the spikes (or whatever style) since having traveled with the wig and may need a slight touch up. If the style is good to go, give a blast of freeze spray over the wig and head out to the con! 
 
Finished wig! The Got2B line is available at drugstores, Ulta, Target, Walmart, and a few other places. The can of freeze spray is around $10. The travel sizes are around $5. They last a good amount of time! I just replaced my can of freeze spray...I had it for almost a year!

I'd like to share with you the story of the wig that never showed. I was preparing for Kotoricon in NJ (held every January; super fun) and was going to cosplay as Rukia Kuchiki. The kareshi ordered me a wig with plenty of time to spare. Time went by...and no wig. Now it was two days before the con. He emailed the store who said it was on its way. Well, it came...three days after the con. I had to buy a wig. I had the Rukia cosplay outfit, so a wig was what was needed! 
I highly recommend trying to go to a wig store if there is one nearby if you are caught in this situation (this is an easy option if your character has "normal" colored hair). This also works for the scenario of not being able to find a wig that suits your character. I hiked off to the store and found a black wig. It did not look like Rukia's style, but I knew with the spiking glue and freeze spray I'd be able to do this. I actually ended up buying a human hair wig for $50. It was a last minute buy and I couldn't resist. If you can't afford it, don't blow the bank for one. I bought as well so I could use my straightener on it. DO NOT use curling irons or straighteners on regular wigs...they will MELT. End Scene.
This is the finished product of the Rukia wig saga. This is at Katsucon '13. The lovely Yoruichi is cosplayed by my good friend Lauren.
 This is another wig I bought (non human hair) from the local wig store. $15! Amazingness. I whipped a french twist, used probably about 100 black bobby pins, and cut a long bang on the side of my face a la Nanao-chan. And of course, it was blasted to kingdom come with freeze spray ~_^
 And there's Kyouraku (cosplayed by the kareshi) laying in all his glory on the ground after too much indulging in sake. I styled this wig as well. It was ordered online, but came missing the trademark blue ribbon hair tie and the two red flowers. Also, the strand of hair that falls over his face needed to be freeze sprayed as it was separating and itchy! The wig came with very nice waves, so I decided to use this product below:

 This is a product I use to refresh curls and waves. It has lavender in it and smells awesome. I sprayed this on the Kyouraku wig (over the pony tail) and scrunched the hair a bit to really get the trademark wavy hair he's rockin'. This is a travel size and can be purchased at Ulta. This was around $8-$10. Perfect for wavy hair wigs. 

If you have to cut the bangs of your wig because they are too long or styled incorrectly, be sure to use a good pair of scissors and do nottttt cut straight across. Cut diagonally! Watch your hairdresser as he/she cuts your hair. They never cut straight across, even for sharp, straight across bangs. Same goes for hair length of wigs and trimming here and there.

For all these scenarios listed above, there is a way around them. I cannot recommend enough the Got2B hair products. They have saved me in a pinch and will be of great help to you. It's a great asset to have for any cosplayer, especially when wigs are involved.
Again, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me! I also do wig commissions. That's how much I enjoy doing it. I've seen the good, bad, and ugly of wigs. There's always a way to fix the wig and style if it calls for it. <3 Thank you for reading <3

Here are two wig sites I adore:


 




No comments:

Post a Comment